Friday, April 22, 2011

Getting a new iPod touch to work in Virtualbox

Recently got an iPod touch. From the time I turned it on, the screen instructed me mercilessly to plug the thing into iTunes and wouldn't allow me to do anything else.

So I fired up Windows 7 in Virtualbox. After installing iTunes, I mounted the iPod, it was detected and iTunes opened. When I would try to restore the iPod, iTunes would begin the process, but it would never finish, always bringing up an error that, according to Apple's website was a USB-related issue.

I noticed in Virutalbox that the iPod would unmount during this process (no check mark beside it when right-clicking on USB icon in lower right corner). It would never re-mount, and eventually the USB error would come up.

So, on a long shot, I tried the restore again, this time manually re-mounting the iPod after it was unmounted from Virtualbox.

This time the restore began working. I had to manually re-mount the iPod a few times during the process, and it completed.

Now I've got a fully functional iPod touch that I'm using with gtkpod.

No comments:

Post a Comment