Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rhythmbox - Changing the Genre Reverts after Program Restart

I have used Rhythmbox to edit the tags of many songs, but recently I came across one album that would not keep changes I made to the Genre field. Initially, the changes would be made, but after restarting Rhythmbox, the Genre had reverted back to the original.

I tried changing the song title, and and that worked, even after re-starting Rhythmbox.

I opened these mp3s in a few different audio players, and they all showed the new Genre. Sigh. However, Rhythmbox still showed the old Genre. This seemed to point to a tag version problem.

I ended up using Audio Tag Tool and found that all these songs had a v1 tag but no v2 tag. This tool did not show the v3 tag (but I knew it existed). The fix was to copy the v1 tag to the v2 tag (Ctrl+2) and then delete the v1 tag for each file (deleting the v1 tag might not have been necessary, I don't know).

Then I opened the files in Rhythmbox, edited the Genre, quit out, re-launched Rhythmbox, and the Genre was changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment