Sunday, February 26, 2012

Edimax EW-7811Un working in Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit and 64-bit

Results have been mixed in Ubuntu/Linux with the Edimax EW-7811Un wireless adapter in the past year, some saying it works great, some saying it works on 32-bit only, others can't get it to work at all. I decided to buy a couple and see if I could get them working.

First off, I did NOT use the drivers that came on the CD (v2.0.939.20100726) which are the same ones listed currently on the Edimax website, apparently dated 2010/7/26 based on the version tag.

I used the latest RTL8192CU Linux drivers from Realtek.

Possible prerequisite: Some have suggested installing the build-essential package in Ubuntu... I already had this installed so I don't know if it's necessary: In a terminal window do:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
1. Download RTL8192CU Linux drivers from Realtek website.

2. Right-click the archive and select Extract Here.

3. Open a Terminal window (Applications > Accessories > Terminal)

4. Assuming the file was downloaded to your Downloads folder, type:
cd Downloads/RTL (then press Tab and it will auto-complete the folder name)
5. Run the install script:
sudo sh install.sh
6. Enter your password.

7. Select the RTL8192cu option when it asks. Update Dec 2012: Newer driver packages don't prompt for this.

That's it!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, worked for a complete Ubuntu novice Ubuntu 11.04). So very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +1. Posting this from my Ubuntu 8.04 box for LinuxCNC. Had a few errors/warnings at the end of the install script running, but seemed to work okay, cause I was able to select my wireless network from the top bar, type in the key, and I was connected. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SEEMS NOT WORK WITH UBUNTU 13.10... TO BAD, YOUR EXPLANATIONS ARE CLEAR ! THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Work Great! YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete